- Parish Info
- Care & Help
- Altar Servers
- Youth Faith Formation
- Safeguard the Children/VIRTUS
- Our School
|St. Margaret Mary Alacoque Catholic Church||
What Counts, and What Doesn't When Reporting Service Hours
When you give freely of your time and talent to the disadvantaged, the Church, or the community with a heart full of love, we want to count those hours toward our goal of 75,000 hours of service to celebrate St. Margaret Mary’s 75th anniversary.
Please follow these guidelines when reporting service hours, which we are calling Sacred Heart Hours.
Who can contribute Sacred Heart Hours?
• All St. Margaret Mary parishioners and staff.
• All students St. Margaret Mary School students and their families.
• All students enrolled in Religious Education and their families.
What time period does the 75,000 Hours Commitment cover?
Service must have been performed between October 16, 2011, and October 14, 2012, to be counted toward the 75,000-hour goal.
Examples of service hours that will be counted:
• Direct unpaid service to agencies, non-profit organizations, churches, schools, health-care facilities or community groups
• Direct unpaid service to individuals in need who are not related to you, such as elderly neighbors, school children, or persons with disabilities.
• Unpaid time spent performing indirect service, such as organizing service projects, planning fundraisers, or educational activities to benefit organizations that serve the disadvantaged, the Church, or the community
• Pro-bono professional service
• Unpaid time spent participating in fund-raising events for organizations that serve those less fortunate, the Church, or the community, such as sales, phone banks, or sponsored walks/runs
• Serving on boards or committees of organizations that provide direct service to people who are disadvantaged, the Church, or the community
Examples of service hours that will NOT be counted:
• Paid employment or paid internships
• Direct service to relatives, such as caring for elderly parents or children with disabilities
• Time spent doing advocacy work to influence public policy or political campaigns
• Internships or service-learning work for commercial organizations that do not serve the disadvantaged, the Church, or the community
• Serving on boards or committees of organizations that do not provide direct service to people who are disadvantaged, the Church, or the community
Members of the St. Margaret Mary community reporting Sacred Heart Hours for this project will be asked to affirm that their service meets the guidelines outlined above.